‘You Beauty’ Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprout haters, LISTEN UP! This dish was just given the thumbs up by a VERY picky eater! Last year, I was enlisted by a private client to create delicious, nutritious meals using “anything but green vegetables.” When I delved further (because: WTF – ‘what the food?’) I was told her seven-year-old son had a strong aversion to foods coloured green
Long story short, no matter what she tried over the years (even dying broccoli & celery purple!) he wouldn’t swallow a morsel 🙅🏾♂️ Out of sheer desperation, she began looking for someone to help – enter ME! So far, in the last 2 months, this little boy has embraced: zucchini, broccoli, celery & spinach. Today, however, was the BEST DAY EVER because I just got the call to say hedeclared he “LOVES CHEF SHINE’S BRUSSEL SPROUTS!”
To say I’m thrilled would be an understatement – I feel as though I’ve won the lottery. And because I’m on such a natural foods high, I jumped on insta to share this recipe with you, perfect as a side or snack on its own. Obvs, you know how great Brussels are, but just in case:
🌱They were initially bred from wild cabbage to improve digestion.
🌱Full of vitamins, antioxidants & naturally-occurring sulphur, essential to the functioning of your cardiovascular, muscular & central nervous system.
🌱Naturally anti-inflammatory thanks to their glucosinolate & Vitamin K
- ✨500g/1lb brussels sprouts, shaved
- ✨1 organic apple, grated
- ✨1/4 cup dried, organic currants
- ✨2-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ✨3 tbs lemon juice
- ✨1 tsp garlic powder
- ✨1 tablespoon pure date syrup (I used @thedatelady)
- ✨½ teaspoon sea salt
- For plant-based parmesan:
- 🌱¼ cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 🌱1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 🌱1/4 tsp sea salt
- Blitz seeds, yeast & salt in a processor. Pulverise & set aside.
- Saute brussels & apple in oil & salt until wilted. Turn off heat & mix in all other ingredients.
- Toss to combine & serve topped with plant-based parmesan (optional).