Terrificly Toasted Coconut
So I’ve taken a few days off social media since leaving New York and arriving in London – I usually post daily on my instagram site, but I’ve been feeling a little technologically-fatigued lately… I want to be spending more time in the kitchen and less time on my phone, so I’ve decided to post less on insta and focus more on sharing my recipes here and via other sites which I’ll tell you all about as my work is published.
Speaking of ‘published’, I am happy to report my manuscript for my soon-to-be-released children’s book is complete, hooray!!! It was such a fun and interesting process – needless to say, I learnt a LOT of fantastic information along the way, and want to thank my fantastic editor for all her support and guidance! I can’t wait to share my book with you. I put so much love into the storyline, hoping it impacts children (and adults too!) in such a positive, thought-provoking way.
Now I’m back in London to prep for my upcoming talk at the Olympia Beauty Show in October, I’m also back on track with my recipe development…beginning with a firm, very simple, favourite: toasted coconut. SUCH a great healthy-fat kind of snack I love to snack on when I’m in development mode…and one that a LOT of super foodie companies are now packaging and selling which is fantastic.
It makes me beyond happy to see healthier snacks on our grocery shelves, and even more happier when I can share a recipe to help you make something similar in case your grocery store doesn’t stock this kind of deliciousness yet.
Super simple, super cheap. I hope you enjoy…
- ¼ cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 3 cups dried, shredded sulphur-free coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - feel free to use 1-2 teaspoons if you want extra salty, just remember to increase your water intake when consuming more salt.
- Preheat your oven to 150C/300F degrees
- Warm the coconut oil until it becomes liquid and mix in the coconut flakes and sea salt - make sure you mix well, then spread out onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until your coconut pieces begin to get a little tan - they will brown around the edges. You can stir them around the tray every couple of minutes, it's up to you.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cook on some paper towel.
- If you want super crunchy flakes - just store them in your freezer.
PS did you know coconut is the most important nut crop in the world? True story! The palm tree coconuts come from is called “The Tree of Life” which is super cool… I remember googling ‘coconuts’ a few years ago, reading about how they’re the richest source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which are burned for energy instead of circulating in your blood stream like all other fats. MCT fats are sent straight to the liver and converted into pure, delicious energy for our bodies and brains – even more reason to enjoy your toasted coconut right?! Enjoy 🙂