Oh My Oatmeal!
Let’s celebrate the important role of carbs in our daily diet. And what better way to do so than with this delicious, creamy oatmeal…
- 1 cup old fashion oats (NOT the instant or steel cut kind)
- 2 cups COLD water (this is one of the main steps it takes to achieve soft, creamy oatmeal as opposed to chewy oatmeal!)
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Handful of organic raisins (sugar, preservative and oil free is best)
- Handful of raw walnuts (or any nut you prefer)
- Small-medium saucepan
- Organic apple juice (this is optional to flavour your oats. If you choose to include the juice, opt for the 100% organic type)
- Pour oats into saucepan and add 2 cups cold water. Turn heat on a low to medium flame.
- Let water and oats combine by stirring gently, the oats will quickly absorb the water and become creamy in about 2-5 minutes.
- Once oats start to absorb the water, turn down the heat to a low flame and add in dried raisins, cinnamon, salt and coconut oil. Stir well to combine. If you are choosing to incorporate apple juice, now is the time to add it in – you will only need a little to sweeten this mix, so begin with ¼ – ½ cup over a low heat.
- Serve topped with walnuts or a drizzle of your favourite nut butter. You might also want to include some fresh fruit – I topped mine with one half of my perfectly poached pears instead of using apple juice to sweeten the mix.
One more thing… See the main picture above, how perfectly placed the food is? Well, time for the truth! Below is the ACTUAL ‘after’ shot! After the lovely manicured pic was taken, my husband and I added more oatmeal and juice I poached the pears in – we’re eating from the same bowl this morning because we only have one nice one in the apartment right now!
NEVER be food shamed by any perfectly prepped food pics you see in magazines or on blogs – they’re orchestrated that way to impress. The reality is in the pic below friends, and it’s absolutely tasty 😉