How To Make a Gorgeous Green Smoothie
They are easy to make, incredibly convenient and such a brilliant way to pack in as much plant matter and vegetables as you can first thing in the morning. I became a fan of smoothies back in my modelling days when I had no time to eat due to auditions and jobs often located on different sides of town. My options were limited to: not eating at all (which I did for a period of time but it wasn’t for me!), eat something from a packet, or ‘make and take’ my own food.
I decided to try my hand at creating something healthy, delicious and compact. I wanted something that wouldn’t make me feel or look bloated, but it had to fill me up and make me feel satisfied. Oh! And it also had to fit neatly in my handbag to be easily eaten on the run.
What I came up with was a soup-like green gunge…after blending my ingredients, I took one look and almost tipped it down the kitchen sink. Thank goodness I decided to give it a try! It looked really green, smelt a little grassy but the taste…oh my YUM!
One sip and I was hooked. The bland, lettuce-y flavour I had braced myself to taste quickly turned into the most delightful, sweet surprise. Although I used minimal fruit in the mix, the coconut milk (an ingredient I have been using instead of dairy for many years) together with the avocado added the most delicious creamy taste and texture.
But don’t take my word for it, make this for yourself and let me know if you agree!
- 1 handful mixed lettuce leaves (try to incorporate some deep purple leaves as well as the green, and avoid adding arugula/rocket leaves - way too bitter!)
- 1 scoop plain/unflavoured protein powder (I use pea protein, but it’s your choice. If you do not have protein powder and aren’t keen on buying it to try this recipe, you can substitute with 2 tablespoons of Great Lakes Gelatin or ½ cup pumpkin or hemp seeds)
- ¼ cup each, strawberries and blueberries (fresh or frozen, they must be sweet!)
- ¼ fresh medium avocado
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk (or be adventurous and make your own!)
- Plonk all ingredients into your blender
- Whiz everything until smooth and combined – if too thick for your liking, just add a little water (filtered is best)
- Pour into glass jar and pop in the fridge to cool or drink immediately with the one you love (BTW, this could just be you and that's fine!)