Go Go Gomasio!
Making one of my favourite health supportive toppings today, called ‘GOMASIO’ – a traditional Japanese macrobiotic condiment used for centuries for health support AND flavour. 🎎 Gomasio is typically sprinkled on food in place of table salt, helping to balance flavours and nutrients of food.
When sesame seeds are toasted and ground with salt, the seed’s oil coats and melts the salt, mellowing it to create a fuller flavour, allowing you to consume less salt than if you were to sprinkle it over your food as per usual – how interesting right? Although a little sea salt isn’t bad for you, too much of a good thing can be detrimental to your health. If you’re someone who 💗LOVES💗 salt, then give this a go…
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dried wakame, toasted and processed into small pieces (optional - great dose of iodine, perfect for those with low thyroid issues)
- Mortar and pestle
- Toast sesame seeds in a saucepan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Once ready, transfer seeds to mortar and pestle and grind together with with sea salt and wakame until half the seeds are powdered and half remain whole.
- Eat a teaspoon's worth on it's own as quick burst of minerals and good fats (this is how some macrobiotic people enjoy it) OR sprinkle on top of your food, soup, salads.