Just whipped up a batch of this yum-tastic flaxseed granola – perfect for those looking for a protein-packed, low carb breakfast free from gluten, dairy, sugar (also great for those wanting something to help clean out the intestines to support healthy functioning bowels! 💩👌🏻). Flaxseed (also known as linseed) are a rich source of micronutrients, dietary fibre, manganese, vitamin B1, and the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, also known as ‘ALA’ or ‘omega-3’.
Crazy-but-cool fact: during the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed, he demanded his loyal subjects eat the seeds – he even passed laws to make sure they did! All hail the king indeed!!
To make my flaxseed granola, you do:
- Mix 1 cup dry flaxseed with 1 teaspoon each: cinnamon + nutmeg + 1/2 teaspoon each: cardamom + cloves.
- Add 1 cup of water, mix together and leave to soak overnight.
- In the morning, spread the (now very gloopy) flaxseeds out onto a lined baking tray and bake at 100C/200F until the whole thing becomes crisp (about 1-2 hours depending upon your oven!).
- Remove and leave to cool before breaking up into smaller pieces and adding a small handful of organic raisins, cranberries or chopped dates to add natural sweetness.
- Enjoy with coconut or rice milk and store in the fridge for up to 1 month.