Cute n’ Healthy Crunchy Cookies
Making these yummy little health supportive cookies last night means I can enjoy a few with my cup of tea today, hooray!! Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, these are nothing by nice for you and your insides. I created these in the similar fashion I create most of my cookies – using whatever’s left in my pantry! Ever since culinary school I have loved experimenting with buckwheat because, aside from the health benefits, it adds a delicious, nutty flavour to breads, cereals and cookies without the wheat and gluten!
Try the cookie combination below first, then change up the ingredients for fun. Nuts like macadamias, pine nuts, pecans, walnuts and almonds all work really well. You can also sub the qunioa flakes for rice flakes and the brown rice syrup for 100% organic maple syrup, agave nectar or raw honey. Just note that any natural sweetener does add a big ol’ dose of carbohydrates that will cause your body to create more insulin than normal if you don’t eat many sweet treats. Given this, these cookies are not an every day thing, best enjoyed on a day when you know you’re more active than usual so you can help your body burn it off as energy instead of storing it away as fat you might not need.
- 2 cups cashew nuts
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup buckwheat kernels
- 1 teaspoon each: cinnamon and ginger
- 1 teaspoon aluminium-free baking powder
- Combine nuts in a high speed food processor for 30 seconds until nuts appear grainy.
- Add brown rice syrup, quinoa flakes, buckwheat kernels, spices and baking powder and blend everything again for about 30-40 seconds until combined - your dough should be grainy and a little sticky. Once combined, gather a chunk of the dough and place between two sheets of baking paper. Roll out to biscuit thickness (abut ¼ inch) and peel off top layer of baking paper.
- Cut shapes OR score dough (using a cross hatch method) before placing in a pre-heated 180C/350F oven. Depending upon size and shape, biscuits may be ready in 30mins - check at this time. They're ready when they brown around the edges and puff up a little.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, they will harden further as they cool. Enjoy with friends, family or all by yourself! 👌🏻🍪🙏🏻