Crazy for Kefir!
Do you care for KEFIR?? I do! Rich in probiotics, this soon-to-be-fermented milk drink I’m creating (made with homemade coconut milk) will soon be transformed into a thicker, more yoghurt-y consistency with incredible medicinal, healing benefits for all kinds of issues including digestive disorders like leaky gut
I’m using freeze-dried kefir grains here in London because it’s easy and totally fuss free. Here’s how to make a litre of kefir from scratch…
- Empty sachet of starter culture into a small glass jug (that can hold up to 1 litre because that's how much you can typically make with starter culture grains).
- Pour a small amount of milk (must be full fat, plus sugar and additive free) and mix to combine completely - use a plastic, non-metallic spoon to get rid of all the lumps!
- Add more milk and stir, stir, stir like I am in the video above. You need to make sure any remaining lumps are gone before you...
- Gradually add up to half of your milk, stirring for at least 10 minutes to activate the culture and mix it with all of the milk.
- Add the rest of your milk now and stir for another 10 minutes to distribute the culture throughout all of the milk. Cover with cling wrap or lid (if using a bowl) and leave out for at least 18 hours (hot day!) 24 hours (average amount of time in mixed weather) or 30 hours (cold day).
You’ll know when it’s ready by scooping a small spoonful from the middle – it should make a small indent and be a little thicker like smooth yoghurt (see the picture above!). Transfer to the fridge to chill, then enjoy in smoothies, porridges, on it’s own with some fresh/frozen fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
SO GOOD FOR YOUR GUT!