Coconut Plantain Porridge
YUMMO! I’m currently enjoying a VERY yummy, nourishing breakfast, whipped up with what little ingredients I have in my pantry at the moment. Because it tastes SO good, I’m sharing it with you, in case you’re stuck in a breakfast rut & want to try something new 👌🏻
When it comes to breakfast, you’re literally breaking(your)fast, so it’s important to eat foods that are delicious, filling, nourishing and 100% gut-friendly! My super simple recipe combines all of these elements PLUS a good dose of:
✨a super important gut-friendly ingredient called ‘resistant starch‘ which stimulates the good bacteria in your gut, helping to maintain a healthy balance of the good guys to keep everything – including optimal pooping 💩👌🏻 in check! It may also help maintain healthy weight.
Where does the magical resistant starch come from? The plantain of course! 🍌 If you’re unsure of what a plantain is, don’t stress – you can almost always find one (or ten!) at your local asian market. Look for a banana with black splotches all over its skin – this is what a perfectly ripe plantain looks like . Plantains begin green and are super hard to cut into. As they age, they soften which is the type needed for this recipe.
This yumminess is great hot or cold – if you’re making & storing overnight, add more liquid in the morning to create a perfect porridge texture
- 1 cup full fat organic coconut milk
- 3 tbs coconut flour
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs chia seed (or flax seed)
- ½ ripe plantain, mashed roughly
- Toppings including: sliced plantain, dried coconut, chia, cinnamon, crushed nuts/seeds (just not too many because there’s already enough healthy fats in the porridge!)
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut flour, shredded coconut, chia seed & milk. Stir over a medium heat to warm & thicken – won’t take long!
- Turn off heat, add mashed plantain. Stir/whisk/blend to arrive at desired consistency.
- Add more milk (or water) if you want a more runny consistency.
- Top with extras & enjoy.