Holy mother of MISO! Almost all of my fabulous friends are dealing with a case of the sniffles, sore throats & other unfavourable flu-like symptoms right now! If this is you too, you NEED the recipe below STAT
It has been YEARS since I had a sore throat or a runny nose, and I can honestly say it’s because of the magical substance you see in the pic above: MISO. If you’re not familiar with this potent ingredient, all you need to know is: it’s worth trying! Miso is traditionally made from soybeans (but you can also buy a chickpea version if you don’t do soy) plus a culture starter called ‘koji’ made from beneficial molds, yeast & lactic acid bacteria.
Ok, ok, sounds a little wacky, I know, and maybe even slightly off-putting…but sample something created with miso and you will be thanking me, my friend because it is SO. DAMN. DELISH! The taste is second to none + the fact it’s fermented results in a happier, healthy gut as long as you’re not intolerant to soy or currently have candida (soy is high in copper which can disrupt candida).
A few more important bits to know about miso… It’s:
- highly alkalizing & strengthening to the immune system (germs BE GONE!)
- packed with beneficial bacteria and enzymes (to strengthen your immunity)
- incredibly supportive for your good gut bacteria (critical for good health + happiness, the gut is your second brain, the one that’s in charge of your emotions)
- packed with protein, vitamin B12, vitamin B2, vitamin E, vitamin K, tryptophan, choline, dietary fibre, linoleic acid & lecithin (fancy-shmancy names for ‘IMPORTANT stuff your body needs on the daily!)
- filled with linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid that helps your skin stay soft)
Convinced? Great! Here is the easy-peasy recipe…
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock, bone broth or water
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced leek
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup miso, any variety but white miso is my favourite
- 1 cup sliced greens (kale, spinach, etc.)
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- Saute leeks, mushrooms and greens in oil. Once cooked, set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine stock/water, leeks & carrots. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat. Cover and leave to simmer until vegetables are soft. Reduce heat. Add in sauteed vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix miso paste with 3 tbs of stock or water. Add into the vegetable mix & keep everything at a very low heat (boiling destroys probiotics in the miso).
- Serve & enjoy!
by Meru Miso – my fav miso brand!