After a delightful afternoon spent with Julie Montagu and her AMAZING superfood creations we demo’d during our fun facebook live yesterday (did you tune in?) I was feeling inspired to create something new! Which is why I ventured to Chinatown last night to pick up two cans of jackfruit, one the most versatile fruits I know!
I love playing with this ingredient (pictured ‘in the raw’ if you swipe left above) because there are so many sweet and savoury things you can create with it. If you’ve never tried jackfruit, the time is NOW! Here are a few more reasons why you need to try this wonderful real food – it’s:
- High in fibre
- Low in fat
- Contains potassium, calcium & iron
- Great for digestion
- Eco-friendly – often used in place of animal meat.
Convinced? GREAT! Now Make this and enjoy
MISO ROASTED JACKFRUIT
- 2 x 20oz cans young jackfruit, water (not syrup!)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon sweet miso paste (soy or chickpea)
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or coconut aminos)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Line a baking tray. Drain & rinse jackfruit. Cut or break into smaller pieces – I like to pull the pieces apart with my fingers.
- Add oil & jackfruit to a large frying pan & heat. Add broth & simmer, covered, for 10 minutes until jackfruit softens & can be easily mashed with a fork.
- Once mashed, add miso paste, spices, tamari & salt. Combine well, then transfer to a baking tray, spread in an even layer, then pop in the oven to roast – this should take about 10-20 minutes depending upon your oven, watch closely & be sure to shuffle pieces around every 5-8 minutes to roast evenly. TIP: you’ll know it’s ready when the jackfruit darkens in colour & a few strands get start to burn – this is perfect!
- Remove from oven & enjoy ‘as is’, with soup, or eat alongside some sauteed broccoli, kale & cauliflower topped with some toasted pumpkin or sesame seeds 👌🏻 @ New York, New York