Here’s one for the weekend: savoury granola! In my opinion, sweet granolas (though UTTERLY delicious) are getting a little yawn-tastic these days…
Aside from the fact I routinely give my gut a break from sweet-tasting foods first thing in the morning, it’s also important to change up what you eat regularly so you don’t develop intolerances to foods you love!
To give your gut a break from all the sweet nut-milk-infused granolas, here’s a little savourytreat instead. PERFECT with soup, veggie or bone broths, atop salads or eaten on its own, I’ve included a range of savoury spices to support optimal digestion. Here’s what & why:
✨Cumin – antiviral, anti-inflammatory, improves digestion, supports bones
✨Garlic – antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, lowers blood pressure
✨Cayenne – anti-inflammatory, improves circulation & metabolism
✨Ground Coriander – anti-inflammatory, prevents gas, alleviates cramps & gout
✨Ground Mustard – alleviates congestion, bronchitis, sore throat & arthritis
✨Garam Masala – heats the body, improves digestion, eases constipation
✨Sea Salt – magnesium, calcium, potassium, zinc, iron & iodine
✨Ground Onion – natural antiseptic, lowers blood pressure, alleviates asthma & colds
- 1.5 cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup dried organic raisins
- 1/2 cup smashed cashew nuts OR sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup ground flax + 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic, garam masla, ground coriander, cumin, onion, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: mustard, cayenne
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/320F. Combine flax & water, leave to thicken.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add oil into flax mix. Combine with dry mixture.
- Mix with a fork to combine. Flatten mixture about 1/4 inch thick on a baking tray.
- Bake for 25 mins or until edges brown. Remove & break into larger chunks. Place in oven to crisp up further.
- I leave granola in the oven another 10 minutes, until golden brown. Leave out overnight to crisp further.Enjoy every spice-induced, savoury crunch! 👌🏻✌🏻