JUST in time for 4th July, I lovingly share my latest gluten free, plant-based recipe 🌱 If you saw insta stories earlier today, you’d know the key ingredient within these fluffy, moist muffins is EGGPLANT (‘aubergine’ in Brit-speak)
Before you turn away in disgust (I see you!) give me a few insta secs to explain why I used this not-so-popular veggie…beyond the fact my husband detests it which creates a fire of desire to convert his disdain into admiration! Even though eggplant is a funny, slightly un-sexy-looking veggie, it’s such a wonderful veggie to include in your diet. A few key reasons:
🍆Nasunin – a rare type of antioxidant housed within eggplant helps your body fight free radical damage.
🍆Manganese – has a profound effect on your body’s ability to form healthy bones thanks to its impact on bone mineralization and metabolism.
🍆Vitamin B6 & B1 – two vitamins vital for a healthy metabolism. Vit B6 helps create amino acids are critical for numerous bodily functions – not enough and you can experience all kinds of inflammation.
Convinced? If not, take a chance and be adventurous anyway! Make these muffins, marvel at the fact they DON’T taste like eggplant & enjoy all the healthy benefits…
Red, White, Blue (& Brown🍆) ‘Merican Muffins
- 370g steamed eggplant – drained of excess water
- 100g dark chocolate – I used 70%
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pre-heat oven 200C/400F
- Steam eggplant & place in strainer. Push to release water – you want a big ol’ lump of gooey-ness. Weigh out 370g. Place in food processor with dates & flour.
- Melt dark choc & coconut oil together, add to processor. Blend until everything is well combined. Stop & scrape down sides, then scoop mixture into an oiled/floured/lined muffin tin.
- Bake for 8 mins at 200C/400F & reduce heat to 180C/356F for another 5 mins. Remove from oven, leave to cool 15 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool further.
- Enjoy with/without healthy frosting
- Celebrate your INDEPENDENCE! 🙏🏻