Well hello there Friday, it’s lovely to see you! To celebrate, here’s a yum-tastic recipe I first created for a client wanting a healthy vegan version of the more traditional zucchini bread (minus the animal-based ingredients) to snack on.
Aside from it being gluten and egg free, this lovely loaf is PACKED with all kinds of real food stars like zucchini, organic apple puree and flaxseed, YUM! All perfect poop-forming ingredients to keep your body in tip top shape If you’ve never tried flaxseed before, do it, do it! It’s filled with healthy fats and functions as an effective little vacuum cleaner as it moves through your digestive tract.
This recipe is best enjoyed with someone you love because food and friendship = LIFE! Have a great weekend, and don’t forget to cook with love because it’s the best, most health-supportive ingredient!
EASY PEASY PLANT BASED ZUCCHINI BREAD
- 4 tablespoons flaxseed + 12 tablespoons water – mixed and left to thicken
- 4 cups packed zucchini, grated
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend (see my instagram for past recipes or use a high quality, organic kind from the store).
- 1.5 cups organic apple puree (or boil 1-2 small apples & puree)
- 3/4 cup organic nut or seeds of choice – you can also sub for dried fruit
- 1 cup raw, organic coconut, cane or maple crystals
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons aluminium-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoon true cinnamon.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line or grease one large loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, crystals and vanilla. Stir in the flax “eggs” and shredded zucchini.
- In a second bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. .
- Add dry ingredients into wet and stir well to combine. Lastly, fold in nuts/seed/dried fruit.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth on top. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a cake/bbq skewer comes out clean and your loaf turns a nice golden brown colour.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before slicing (drooling) and enjoying!
BIG thanks to my girl (and pro photographer) Alison McWhirter Photograph