Ahhhh!! I’m SO excited to share this yummy plant based recipe after receiving RAVE reviews from one of my beautiful celebrity (vegan) clients who just called me all the way from LA to tell me how much she & her children are loving it, hooray! Apparently – at their request – she has made it several times in the last few weeks for her children to take to school! This is a HUGE win for me as a passionate natural foods chef, health coach & recipe developer
In this capacity, I’m often enlisted to create new, exciting nutrient-dense meals for clients who are time poor & super health conscious. My intent is to always create something incredibly nourishing, delicious & easy to make – this dish definitely ticks ALL of those boxes!
A fun plant-based take on traditional brussels & bacon, I use sulphur-free dried coconut in place of bacon which is super YUM Sure, coconut will never be bacon BUT it does a great job of imitating the same crispy, crunchy-ness bacon provides. Have fun and enjoy
BRUSSELS & BACO-CONUT
- 300g brussel sprouts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch sea salt & pepper
For the ‘baco-conut’:
- 50g sulphur & sugar-free shredded, dried coconut
- 2 tsp tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- OPTIONAL – 1/8 tsp liquid smoke
- Pre heat oven to 200C/400F
- Mix brussel sprouts and accompanying ingredients in a bowl to coat evenly. Spread onto a lined baking tray & roast for 15 mins or until lightly charred.
- Mix all baco-conut ingredients together and place on a lined baking tray. Place in same oven as Brussels. NOTE: the coconut will bake FAST! Don’t walk away, it should be done within 5 mins. Remove once it darkens in colour & leave to cool & get crispy.
- Remove brussels & combine with baco-conut – toss to mix evenly and serve immediately.
- If any leftovers, store in an air-tight container in the fridge and re-bake at 110C/200F to reheat/ re-crisp.