Ok, so here’s a fun recipe that makes blueberry ‘biscuits’ – an American version of flattened scones that I became quite enamoured with during my time living in New York last year. These taste OH SO GOOD whilst being OH SO HEALTHY- the best combination don’t you think? Make these as soon as you can because YOU deserve it! Here’s how…
Blueberry Biscuit Scones
- 450g almond meal
- 4 teaspoons aluminium-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons raw organic sugar, maple crystals or coconut sugar
- 170g coconut oil – cold and chopped into pieces
- 1 chia or flax egg
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- Zest of 1 lemon or 1/2 orange
- 180g blueberries
- coconut oil to glaze
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C (325F)
- Combine almond meal, baking powder, salt, sugar & cold coconut oil into a food processor, pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs – don’t over do it!
- Pour into a mixing bowl & add the chia/flax egg, yoghurt, lemon zest, and blueberries. Mix to form a rough, soft dough. Be careful you don’t smoosh the blueberries too much.
- Turn onto your benchtop (use extra almond flour to dust if dough is sticky) & knead a few times until dough comes together – note, it will be a little crumbly, that’s fine!
- Flatten the dough lightly with your hands until it is about 1 inch thick. Use a fun cookie cutter to cut out shapes – carefully push the dough out of the cutter & place onto a lined baking tray. Brush with extra coconut oil & bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown.👌🏻😋✌🏻️