Nutrition, Recipes

Aussie Aussie Aussie – Choccie, Choccie, Choccie!

January 26, 2016
chef shine

I am beyond thrilled to be back in my home country of Australia for the summer, and just in time to celebrate one FAVOURITE days of the year, Australia Day! It’s a public holiday here in Oz which means I can spend time with family and good friends, eating delicious food and making more magical memories.

Australia Day has always been a special one for my family because it’s the day my parents were married! So to celebrate, I’m a having a little dinner party to test a new soba noodle stir fry I will share if it gets the thumbs up :) I’ve also made some very delicious, clean chocolates for dessert – the most important part of the meal right?!

This choccie recipe is incredibly easy to replicate, won’t take very long and doesn’t require any fussy tempering of chocolate…I like to keep things simple! It’s also very, very, health-supportive which means you can enjoy a few guilt-free pieces with a nice glass of wine after dinner (or perhaps a herb tea, coffee – whatever floats your boat!). I’m a HUGE fan of making all kinds of clean choccie concoctions – I like to use nut butters, coconut oil, almond meal and other deliciously healthy ingredients that don’t cost the earth. The only issue with those ingredients is that they tend to melt quite quickly – which is fine if you intend to eat your wares rather than gift them (because it’s likely your giftee will receive nothing but a brown puddle of (delicious) chocolate-y mess if kept out of the fridge for long!).

To ensure these choccies last the distance, I used cacao butter – the edible, natural fat of the cacao bean which has been cold pressed to retain its nutritional properties, aroma and flavour. In short: YUM and good for you in moderation, like all healthy fats. Depending upon where you live, cacao butter can range in price, so you’ll have to bargain shop for this one, but I assure you, it’s worth it! I buy a big ol’ bag from Costco which makes these chocolates really cheap. If you don’t have access to a Costco or a bulk-buy outlet, your next best bet is to shop online where you’ll find some good bargains.

Before Costco came into my life, I ordered cacao butter directly from iHerb – a brilliant online store that ships internationally. I still shop via iHerb for a range of supplies (including this amazingness – to. die. for!) because prices are low and the shipping rates and timings are amazing – no matter where you are in the world. If you’re curious to give this a go to purchase your cacao butter (or the coconut manna – DO IT!!)  feel free to use  this link which will get you $5 off your first purchase, pretty awesome don’t you think?!

Ok, enough with the typing…it’s time to celebrate Aussie day with good food, friends and family fun plus this CHOCOLATE!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie – Choccie, Choccie, Choccie

Makes: 1 silicon tray’s worth of choccie, yipeeeee!

You need:

• 1/2 cup melted cacao butter
  • 4 Tablespoons cacao, cocoa or carob powder (if you like dark choc, add another 1-2 TBS)
  • 1 Tablespoon raw, granulated sugar (organic is best, I use coconut sugar or ‘Panela Sugar’ which is unrefined with a caramel-y flavour to it, delish!)
  • 2 teaspoons peppermint essence (organic is best)
  • 4 teaspoons flaxseed (a-mazing for your digestive tract and adds a little crunch!)

You do:

1. Melt cacao butter in a small saucepan, should take about a minute
  2. Add peppermint essence and cacao powder, stir to combine.
  3. Add sugar and flax and stir to combine well.
  4. Pour into silicon choccie molds or a silicon ice cube tray (I like to buy different, fun shaped molds from novelty stores and from Amazon)
  5. Place in fridge for 30 mins or more to set completely before enjoying. every. bite. If it’s warm where you are, store these in the fridge when not eating.

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

• Reply Ally @OmNomAlly January 26, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Welcome back to Australia! These choccies look and sound delicious, I love that they don’t need tempering (as I really suck at it haha)

One thing that’s bugging me, the chocolates have been photographed back-to-front. I want to reach in the monitor and flip them over… and then proceed to eat them all! 😀

• Reply Danielle Shine January 26, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Hi Ally! Thanks for stopping by and commenting – yes, tempering is a process so I decided to nix that and make it super easy! Apologies for the backward-ness of my choccies – they just looked SO much prettier this side up, so I decided to be a little kooky with the photo shoot and place them on an antique plate that showed the proper shape of Oz 😉 I do hope you make these, they’re delish! And the crunchy flaxseeds together with the peppermint essence make you think you’re eating those naughty sugary peppermint chips when you’re not, love it!!

Enjoy them in great health,

Danielle x

• Reply Liz January 27, 2016 at 6:59 am

Welcome home. I have absolutely loved following your journey in the states. What an amazing opportunity. I cannot wait to see what is to come.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. They look so simple and oh so delicious! I absolutely love Cosco! It has seriously changed my life; a whole kg of chia seeds for $14 and a kg bag of cacao for $16?! It’s amazing!
    x Liz

• Reply Danielle Shine January 27, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Hi Liz, thanks so much for the warm welcome home, it certainly feels great to be back on home turf! Also lovely to feel the sun on my face :)

And yes, Costco!! How happy am I to be able to bulk buy my chia seeds, coconut flour and cacao nibs once again, yipeeeee! It’s such a fun, fascinating place isn’t it? I can never just ‘run in and grab something’, I love walking all the aisles – even the ones I don’t need anything from!

Thanks for taking the time to write a comment – let me know if you make these choccies, they’re pretty more-ish! In fact…I’m off to make some more!!

Danielle x

• Reply Beverley Stone February 1, 2016 at 9:25 pm

The dinner was amazing. The soba noodles were just the thing in the stir fry which was full of superb vegies. The taste was out of this world. It’s great having a chef for a daughter, especially one that loves to entertain. Bring on the next dish!!!

• Reply Mecca Quaye February 1, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Danielle! It has taken me so long to actually comment! I’m feeling a bit ballsy today! I’m going to try this recipe out this week and I will give you my feedback if you care for it! It looks pretty simple and easy…and my children are always craving sweets so… thanks! Anyways I hope all is well!!! ❤️

• Reply Danielle Shine February 2, 2016 at 7:26 am

Marvellous Mecca! Thanks for your comment, so lovely to hear from you always!!!!

These are goooood – my godchildren love them so I hope your gorgeous kidlets love them too! Let me know how you go, the flaxseed in them messes with your head in the best possible way…you think you’re crunching on crispy bits of peppermint lolly when really you are munching on healthy seeds that will help keep you stay regular and help clean out those intestines, winning!

Keep in touch girl x