I have always loved pizza. From a young age, it was a treat my parents would allow only every now and then, so when I grew older, (the kind of ‘older’ where you begin feeding yourself as opposed to what your parents put on the table for dinner), pizza was my easy-peasy, ‘go to’ favourite food. It has seen me through all-nighter study sessions, breakups, breakthroughs and everything in between. I love the versatility of pizza – so many different toppings on a thick or thin crusty base can transport you to different parts of the world without having to leave your dining room (although I really do recommended visiting Italy to sample REAL, authentic pizza!).
Thanks to cheap, fast-food outlets, pizza is most commonly known as an unhealthy food, but I’d like to challenge that right about now…because today at school, we made delicious, nourishing pizza with real food and ingredients. It can be done! My favourite pizza base of the day? Gluten free, non-vegan. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the pizza bases featuring gluten-based flours, or ones made entirely vegan (with no egg, dairy or butter) these were equally flavoursome. But today I really enjoyed the light n’ fluffy texture of the gluten free mini pizzas I made – so much so, I’m sharing the recipe (with thanks to the Natural Gourmet Institute) with you below. Scroll down to get started. And as always, enjoy life more by choosing to eat real, whole food.
Glorious Gluten Free Mini Pizzas
Serving: 10- 12 miniature pizzas (about 2 inches wide)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil for greasing baking trays/baking paper
- 2 tsp maple crystals (or you can also use brown rice syrup)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 ¼ tsp (1 packet) dry yeast
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground flaxseed (or you can also use ground chia seed)
- 1 tsp fennel seed (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Oil 2 baking trays with olive oil OR line with baking paper and lightly coat in olive oil – so mini pizzas don’t stick to paper/tray
- In small bowl, dissolve maple crystals in water and add yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside
- In separate small bowl, whisk together rice flour, tapioca flour, ground flaxseed, fennel, and salt. Set aside
- In a stand mixer (or you can also use a hand mixer), blend egg, 1 tablespoon of oil, and yeast-maple crystal water. Add flour mix and beat on high for 2 minutes
- Using tablespoon, spoon batter onto cookie sheet, making 6-8 pizzas per sheet. With circular motion, spread each circle out with spoon to about 2 inches in diameter
- Cover baking trays with cling wrap or tea towel and leave mini pizza bases to rise 40-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C
- Top each mini pizza with your toppings of choice. OPTIONAL: drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over mini pizzas before baking for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned. Best eaten warm!